Apple Pastries RecipeCategory: Italian Pastries Recipes
1. Sifted all purpose flour (4c)
2. egg white (1)
3. sugar (2tbsp)
4. coarsely grated apples (6c)
5. cinnamon (1/2tsp)
6. cornstarch (2tbsp)
7. sugar (1c)
8. fine dry bread crumbs (1/2c)
9. commercial sour cream (1/2c)
10. egg yolks (4)
11. salt (3/4tsp)
12. sugar (1/4c)
13. soft shortening (1c)
Method of preparation:-
1. First heat the oven to 450 degrees. Take a jelly roll pan, grease it lightly. Take a bowl, mix, flour, salt and sugar of ¼ cup in it. Add shortening.
2. Take a small bowl, beat sour cream and egg yolks in it and then mix it in the bowl of dry ingredients. Blend this mixture to form stiff dough. Roll the pastry and then place in on the jelly roll pan. Take bread crumbs and sprinkle them over it.
3. Take a bowl, mix cornstarch, sugar of 1 cup, cinnamon and apples in it and then spread this mixture over the bread crumbs. Now beat the egg whites and apply it over the top of the pastry. Dust sugar of about 2 tablespoons on the top.
4. Place the pan in oven and bake for about 15 minutes at 450 degrees. Turn down the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees and again bake for about 20 minutes until the color changes to brown. Take out the pan from oven and cut into squares. Serve them warm or cold.