Italian Rice Cake RecipeCategory: Italian Rice Recipes
This is an Easter rice cake.
1. Arborio rice (200gm)
2. butter (20gm)
3. eggs (2)
4. caster sugar (1/2c)
5. caster sugar extra (1/4 and 1 tsp)
6. finely grated rind of lemon (1)
7. split, vanilla beans (1)
8. milk (3c)
9. peeled and thinly sliced orange (2small)
For filling :-
1. Dried apricot (8)
2. dried apples (30 gm)
3. dry white wine (1c)
4. sugar (5tbsp)
5. peel on thinly sliced orange (1/2large orange)
6. sultanas (10gm)
7. cream to serve
Method of preparation:-
1. First heat the oven to 170degrees. Take a saucepan, mix rice, milk and vanilla beans in it over medium heat until gets boiling. Add butter in it and then mix and simmer it gently.
2. Cover it and cook it for 8 to 10 minutes. Now strain the rice then take out the vanilla beans and then cool it.
3. For filling; take a bowl, place fruits in it. Cover it with warm water and keep it for 10 minutes. Drain the fruit and chop it.
4. Put it in saucepan with water, wine and sugar and place it over heat and simmer it for 10 minutes. Add orange slices in it and again simmer for 10 minutes and then strain it. Add lemon rind, ½ cup of sugar and eggs into the rice mixture.
5. Take a ring tin, butter it and dust it with ¼ teaspoon of sugar. Spread ¾ of rice mixture over the bottom and around the sides of the tin.
6. Place the fruit in the center and cover it with remaining rice mixture. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar over it.
7. Take a baking dish. Place tin on to and bake it for 45 minutes until gets set. When it gets ready then arranges orange slices on the top and serves it with syrup or cream.