Risi E Bisi RecipeCategory: Italian Rice Recipes
This is a simple, tasty and popular dish. Serve it with sauteed vegetables, bread and Italian wine.
1. Chopped lean bacon (6oz)
2. thinly sliced onion (1)
3. butter (1/4c)
4. peas (1lb)
5. Italian rice avorio (2 2/3c)
6. white wine (3/8c)
7. olive oil (1tbsp)
8. boiling chicken stock (5c)
9. salt (1tsp)
10. black pepper (1/2c)
11. grated parmesan cheese (1c)
Method of preparation:-
1. Take a large heavy saucepan, place it on moderate heat. Heat the oil in it and then add bacon and then fry it by stirring it occasionally for about 5 minutes or until it is crispy and golden brown.
2. Now place the bacon on the paper towel to drain. Add 2 tablespoon of butter in the pan and melt it. Add onions and then cook it for about 5 to 7 minutes or until onions gets soft but not brown.
3. Add peas and onions to the pan and cook it over low heat for 5 minutes. Pour over 1/3 of boiling stock, rice and wine in it. Regulate the heat so that rice is bubbling all the time. Stir the rice with fork.
4. When the liquid gets absorbed and rice swells then add another 1/3 cup of stock in it. Cook it until rice gets tender and moist but still firm.
5. Add bacon and butter, salt, pepper and grated cheese and mix it well to blend. Simmer it for 1 minute by stirring it frequently. Now take off the pan from heat and place it on the warm serving bowl. Serve it immediately.
Number of servings – 4